How I Improved My Self-Confidence

By Parveeni Reddy


Self-confidence is extremely vital in almost every aspect of our lives yet there are many people who struggle to find it. Well, I used to be one of them and I totally understand the fact that a person with a lack of self-confidence can find it difficult to become successful. Until one day I realized that having low self-confidence will not take me anywhere.
I used to have fears especially during presentations in class during my undergraduate studies. I tended to get very nervous during presentations which resulted me in forgetting all the points and explanations that I was supposed to say in class during presentation and due to that I did not obtain a good grade.
This happened frequently during my first year in university and because of that, I then told myself that I needed to overcome this nervousness and by doing so I needed to improve my self-confidence.
I began asking my classmates about the techniques they used to speak well and spontaneously during class presentations. From them I heard that they tended to do a lot of readings, and practice speaking in front of the mirror, with the assumption that the mirror was the audience. So, I began following these methods and it helped me a lot. On the other hand, I was also influenced by some of the students who spoke good English, answered questions assuredly and admitted it if he or she did not know something. This is mainly because of self-confidence. I believe that confident people inspire confidence in others.

At some point I realized that self-confidence can be learned and built on whether if I am working on it for myself or helping others boost their confidence. Besides that, I always tell myself to remember the most important reasons why am I doing it in order to help me stay motivated to work on my self-confidence and to also make it an essential priority for me. By doing this and keeping these powerful reasons in mind has done wonders for me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emotion Regulation

A Brief Introduction to Mindfulness