Perspective from a Psychology student

By: Natasha Clarisse Christopher    

    Communication and Psychology is what I am studying currently and hopefully to walk down the graduation isle soon. The reason why I wanted to pursue psychology at the same time is also because I wanted to learn in depth and understand beyond the stereotypes people have towards psychology and also to understand what it is all about. Some of the stereotypical comments I’ve gotten when I told people that I study psychology is “I bet you can give me great advice or suggestion to my problem” or even the most famous line that most psychology students get which is “so you can read my mind?” These are some of the remarks or misunderstood statements we get from time to time and probably it is best to change that now.

    After studying psychology, I have learned not to judge people so easily and always know there is a reason as to why certain people reacted or behaved the way they did. For example, instead of being angry or frustrated with my friends for treating me in a rude manner, I tend to talk things through with them and explore what the real issue is.

    Besides, I used to draw to conclusions very easily and make my own assumptions about a lot of things. After studying psychology, I have realized that it takes a lot of understanding, adapting and learning in accepting people that surround you.

  Apart from that, since we’re on this topic of judging, from my previous article about my insecurities with my skin color, I have been on the receiving end of judgements from other people. I’ve gotten remarks about how I would look prettier if I were fairer. Moreover, I still remember an incident where I was looking for an apartment to stay and the real estate agent tells me straight away, without even giving me a chance to view the room, “Sorry, I don’t want Indians.” That statement right there made me felt like I was being judged based on my ethnicity. I was even judged for my attire and other people’s perceptions of me. With all this in play, I have learned to think positively as each day goes by and to not be too distracted by negative comments. At the end of the day, you just got to be you and never let anyone tell you otherwise.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emotion Regulation

A Brief Introduction to Mindfulness

How I Improved My Self-Confidence